After I captured the Pinwheel galaxy last month, a new supernova, SN 2023ixf appeared! Discovered on May 19, 2023, this is it imaged on May 26, 2023. The skies have been pretty terrible here in New York with smoke from the Alberta wildfires in the upper atmosphere.
SN 2023ixf appears just to the lower right of the center of the galaxy, in the spiral arm at the bottom of the image. To make it easier to find, I’ve annimated a blending of this image with my capture of M101 from April:
- Astro-Tech AT115EDT 115mm f/7 ED Triplet Refractor w/ 0.8x Reducer/Flattener
- Losmandy GM-8 German Equatorial Mount, Gemini 2, Losmandy FLW Tripod
- Canon EOS 6D Mark II (Hα modified)
- Orion StarShoot Autoguider
- ZWO EAF Electronic Automatic Focuser, iOptron iPolar
- N.I.N.A., PHD2 Guiding, SkySafari Pro, AstroPixelProcessor, Topaz Photo AI, Capture One